New York City Weddings Vendors ▼

Westbury Manor - reception location

Will Cadena Photography, LLC - photo

Officiants

Posted By

NEW RP BHB: How Would You Monogram a Hyphenated Last Name..

gina674

gina674

Going to Tahiti !!!

2831 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
11/9/2006 2:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Riviera in Massapequa

I want to buy something off of Ebay for one of my BMs, but I don't know how to do a Monogram for a hyphenated last name...

For Example: Jennifer Marie Smith-Jones

How would I make a Monogram for that????

Thanks!!!

Posted By

NEW Re: RP BHB: How Would You Monogram a Hyphenated Last Name..

That was the best day ever!!!!

1074 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
7/3/2006 4:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Venetian Yacht Club A++++++++

I would call THings Remembered and ask them.

Posted By

Goldi1021

Goldi1021

Growing a miracle in my belly!

12528 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
2/18/2006 7:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Temple Avodah

I did some research for you. Hope this helps.

"Dear Social Grace,

What is the proper monogram when one has a hyphenated last name? Say, if the new married name is "Ellen Marie Pumpernickel-Smith," would the proper monogram be EMPS, EMP, EMS, or EPS, or what? I'm completely confused.

Sincerely,
E-Something

Dear Abbreviated Madam or Sir,

A traditional monogram style puts the first letter of the last name in the center of the monogram, and makes it a bit larger than the other letters. So Ellen Marie Pumpernickel would be EPM. She could also choose to use a single letter, for her last name, in a monogram.

In this case, though, Ellen has made a break from tradition by hyphenating her last name and keeping her middle name after marriage, so she'll have to break from tradition with her monogram, too. And breaking from tradition is fine and dandy -- but Ellen isn't going to have the "utterly proper," old-fashioned sort of monogram, because she doesn't have an old-fashioned sort of name.

One of the following monograms might make sense: EPSM, PS, or EPM (a hyphen turns two words into "one word," so there's a grammatical argument that Ellen's last name is one name that starts with a "P"). A more modern monogram style puts the letters in order and makes them the same size. If Ellen likes this style, she might choose EMPS or EPS. "

POSTED 10/30/05 12:18 PM

Posted By

gina674

gina674

Going to Tahiti !!!

2831 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Riviera in Massapequa

Posted by Goldi1021

I did some research for you. Hope this helps.

"Dear Social Grace,

What is the proper monogram when one has a hyphenated last name? Say, if the new married name is "Ellen Marie Pumpernickel-Smith," would the proper monogram be EMPS, EMP, EMS, or EPS, or what? I'm completely confused.

Sincerely,
E-Something

Dear Abbreviated Madam or Sir,

A traditional monogram style puts the first letter of the last name in the center of the monogram, and makes it a bit larger than the other letters. So Ellen Marie Pumpernickel would be EPM. She could also choose to use a single letter, for her last name, in a monogram.

In this case, though, Ellen has made a break from tradition by hyphenating her last name and keeping her middle name after marriage, so she'll have to break from tradition with her monogram, too. And breaking from tradition is fine and dandy -- but Ellen isn't going to have the "utterly proper," old-fashioned sort of monogram, because she doesn't have an old-fashioned sort of name.

One of the following monograms might make sense: EPSM, PS, or EPM (a hyphen turns two words into "one word," so there's a grammatical argument that Ellen's last name is one name that starts with a "P"). A more modern monogram style puts the letters in order and makes them the same size. If Ellen likes this style, she might choose EMPS or EPS. "

Thanks so Much!!!!

I do have to admit, I was getting a little confused reading it though..

What do you think I should do????? My friend is very peticular about these things, even when I address something to her, I address her as Ms Smith and not Mrs. Smith...

Or should I just use the first letter of her first name.

She's a teacher, and might use the gift for work, so I don't want to use her full first name... Ughhhh, so much to think about...

Posted By

gina674

gina674

Going to Tahiti !!!

2831 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Riviera in Massapequa

Posted by 070306

I would call THings Remembered and ask them.

This is also a good idea!! Thanks!!!!

Posted By

Goldi1021

Goldi1021

Growing a miracle in my belly!

12528 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
2/18/2006 7:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Temple Avodah

IF you were to put her in an alphabetical list of people, with last names first, you'd start with the first letter of her entire hyphenated name since that is her LEGAL name. Id use that. OR just ask her. It may ruin the surprise but I think she'd appreciate the thought.

FROM SOMETHING BLUE... TO SOMETHINGS NEW! Personalize your wedding with the New York City Weddings Shop.